Just as it was during the Thomas Fire the Junipero Serra statue is wearing a face mask.
The statue is located across from the Ventura City Hall
Father Junipero Serra was the founder of nine missions including the San Buenaventura Mission in 1782.
The first statue was created by John Palo-Kangas in 1936. It was replaced in 1989 by a statue made from the wood carving by the late Wilbur Rubottom that is on display in City Hall atrium.
Photo by Bernie Goldstein