Alex Brunk was a 2015 scholarship winner who received $3.500 from the VPOA.
The Ventura Police Officers Association (VPOA) is accepting applications for the 13th annual Dee Dowell Memorial Scholarship. The scholarships will be presented in June to honor Sergeant Darlon “Dee” Dowell, who was shot and killed on August 7, 1978. Sergeant Dowell is the only officer in Ventura’s history to die in the line of duty.
In selecting scholarship recipients, the VPOA will consider academic achievement, school and community service, and financial needs. Applications must contain all required information and be returned no later than April 23, 2016. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
1st Place $5,000.00
2nd Place $3,500.00
3rd Place $2,000.00
Honorable Mention(s) $500.00
- Be entering his/her freshman through senior year in college;
- Plan a course of study related to the field of public service;
- Ventura resident or have graduated from a high school in Ventura within the past three years;
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or better (based on a 4.0 system);
- Maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or better if selected as a recipient;
- Submit a resume of school and community activities, including a copy of transcripts through the most recent semester;
- Submit an essay of 1000 words or less on “Service, what it means to me”;
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a public servant.
For additional information please contact Officer Cameron Goettsche at 339-4462 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are also available at the front desk of the Ventura Police Department at 1425 Dowell Dr., Ventura, CA 93003 or for download at www.venturapoa.com.