Rubicon Theatre Company, in association with Music2Life, presents a weeklong series of events bringing together three generations of artists from different genres to celebrate the power of music to effect positive change. The festival is curated by five-time Grammy Award-winner Noel Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul, and Mary, who lives part-time in Ojai and has appeared in solo concerts at Rubicon.
The festival includes three readings of a new musical (as part of Rubicon’s Play-In-Progress) — The Folk-Rock Project; a National Songwriting Competition for those 18-38 and a Top 10 Concert and Awards Ceremony; a master class; a one-night-only concert starring Stookey and Peter Yarrow that takes the audience on a musical journey through their lives as activist artists; and a culminating Saturday night event featuring music related to issues of the environment, peace and social justice, with Stookey, Yarrow and others including Nuvi Mehta (Artistic Director of Ventura Music Festival musicians of The Lonesome Travelers and more. Music For Changing Times: Looking Back/Moving Forward begins Monday, May 8 and runs through Saturday, May 13.
Schedule of Events:
- The Folk-Rock Project Mon., May 8 @ 7:00 p.m. Tues., May 9 @ 2:00 & 7:00 p.m.
- Master Class and Showcase Wed., May 10 @ 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Songwriting Top 10 Finalists Concert and Awards Announcement Thurs., May 11 @ 7:00 p.m.
- Open Mic Night at the Rubicon Pub Thurs., May 11 @ 9:30 p.m.
- Looking Back/Moving Forward: Peter and Paul in Concert Fri., May 12 @ 7:00 p.m.
- Music for Changing Times Benefit Concert Sat., May 13 @ 7:00 p.m.
Rubicon Theatre Company Ventura’s Downtown Cultural District
1006 E. Main St.
Tickets: $20-$150 ($4 processing fee)
Series Pass: $225 Patron Pass: $500.
For a complete schedule, go to www.rubicontheatre.org or call 667-2900.