A single story residence was involved in a structure fire shortly after 3:30pm on Friday, August 11 in East Ventura in the 10000 Block Darling Avenue. The resident of the home was taking a nap and awoke to the smell of smoke, fire alarms sounding, and a neighbor who was pounding on the front door. The
occupant of the home and the neighbor attempted to contain the blaze, but both were quickly overcome with smoke and retreated outside. Firefighters arrived quickly thereafter and initiated an attack on the fire. It was quickly identified that the resident and neighbor would need medical attention. Additional engine companies arrived and were informed by a family member that a pet was still inside.
Rescue crews searched the building and found the family pet in a bedroom and removed the animal to safety. Paramedics assessed the victims of the fire. The truck company performed vertical ventilation of the structure in coordination with the fire attack company. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the garage. Assigned firefighters were also tasked to limit the smoke damage to the interior of the residence. The damage was extensive throughout the garage, and the house was yellow tagged for only temporary habitation. One firefighter sustained a minor injury. The preliminary fire investigation revealed that a faulty electrical appliance started the fire. The resident and the neighbor were assessed and treated on scene and did not need to be transported to the hospital.