- 1 frozen pastry crust (pre-bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves (torn into pieces)
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 medium sweet yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese (grated fine)
- 8 ounces whole milk mozzarella cheese (course grate or cut into thin strips)
- 12 Kalamata olives (pitted and sliced lengthwise)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat the olive oil in on medium heat and sauté the garlic in it for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juice, ½ teaspoon of the salt, parsley, basil, and black pepper to taste. Simmer this sauce, stirring occasionally, until it is reduced by about half. It should be quite thick. Set aside.
Peel, halve, and thickly slice the onions. Sauté in butter until golden. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
Now you can assemble the pie. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the bottom of the pre-baked pastry crust. Arrange the onion slices over the cheese in an even layer. Cover the onions with the tomato sauce. Arrange the mozzarella cheese evenly on top of the sauce. Sprinkle the olive slices over the mozzarella and bake the pie for 35 minutes. Allow to cool for approximately 10 minutes before serving.
FB: @ValleyVegetarian, Linkedin: Randy Graham, Instagram: ValleyVegetarian
Do you have a favorite recipe that you would like to share with Breeze readers? Send it (and photo) to email@example.com