Nomination forms are now available online until September 8 for the 12th annual Mayor’s Arts Awards. For more information visit the website. To have a form mailed to you please contact Georgeanne Lees at 805/658-4720 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The awards recognize the artistic achievements and contributions to the cultural community by City of Ventura residents in seven categories:
- Arts Patron, a business or individual whose strong support of the arts has been ongoing through philanthropic and/or volunteer service
- Artist in the Community, an established individual artist in any discipline for artistic excellence and singular efforts in contributing to Ventura’s cultural vitality
- Creative Entrepreneur, a locally owned for-profit business which exemplifies the impact and vitality of Ventura’s creative economy
- Arts Leader, a nonprofit arts professional who has demonstrated outstanding leadership, organizational stewardship and partnership within the arts community
- Arts Educator, an individual or organization whose achievements and contributions to arts education have been significant and far reaching
- Emerging Artist, a working artist under 40 who has demonstrated outstanding promise and commitment to Ventura’s arts community (students are ineligible)
- Student Artist, an active student artist in any discipline under the age of 19 who has demonstrated outstanding promise and commitment to the arts
“These annual awards are an important tradition for everyone who loves the arts in Ventura,” said Mayor Erik Nasarenko. “They cultivate a greater understanding and visibility of the value of the arts to the public at large. They showcase the economic impact of Ventura’s creative businesses and arts leadership and patrons. The Mayor’s Arts Awards are one small way to say ‘well done’ and ‘thank you’ to everyone involved in our creative community–for their contributions, their dedication and their passion to serve the arts in our city.”
In September a panel of community members representing the arts and business worlds will review applications based on: the significance and magnitude of the nominee’s contributions; leadership in the arts community and commitment to service to the arts; benefit and impact of the nominee’s contribution to the citizens of the City of Ventura; and potential contribution to the arts in the emerging artist and student artist categories. The panel’s selections will be presented to Cultural Affairs Commissioners who will make recommendations for the Mayor to approve.
The Mayor will announce honorees on October 10, and present each recipient with a non-monetary award at a reception on November 3, including a limited edition artwork, Mark of Excellence, created by Lis J. Schwitters. The awards are presented as a joint project of the city departments of Community Development and Parks, Recreation and Community Partnerships.